Flow measurement at turnout
Reliable and accurate flow measurement techniques are essential for irrigation districts, farmers, and other agricultural and environmental water users at key points in their water distribution and delivery systems. To this end, ITRC has:
- Designed, constructed, and calibrated a portable Irrigation Turnout Calibration Unit (ITCU) to calibrate flow measurments for existing and new irrigation turnouts supplied by open canals.
- Widened the application of Replogle flumes in irrigation projects
- Worked side-by-side with manufacturers to create new flow measurement devices, most notably:
- Developed indexing procedures for calculating flow rates
in canals and at non-standard flow measurement
- Created guidelines for canal flow
rate measurement with hydroacoustic meters, which provide remote
velocity sampling and integrated flow measurement
based on the Doppler shift.
- Designed and tested
contraction design for flow measurement with
Designed and implemented a system to test and rate flow measurement equipment based on reliability, costs, advantages/disadvantages, ease of use, required support equipment, and required maintenance